Thursday, January 28, 2010

"All my troubles seem so far away"





Lately, I've been obsessed with the idea of being able to sing in harmony. There's something about people in unison singing fourths, minor 3rds etc. in R&B music that transports me. 'Boyz II Men' epitomise this fixation of mine. Although they do have a similar style in all their songs, (similar in the way that Metallica and Disturbed songs all sound the same), the parts that are tweaked or copied are exactly what I adore about their music. Their sound is so warm and recognisable.



I only became acquainted with their music late last year when i bought their album "II". Before this, I didn't really know much about this soulful quartet (now a trio) except that my islander friends love doing covers of their songs. The guy who's wearing the beanie above always takes a pimp cane with him on stage....what a baller! ; ). The opening track of the album is a song called "Thank You". It has many overlapping layers of vocal ad-libs over the verse, as well as some smooth descending melismatic runs. You should check it out, its a fun song. Not a fun song like the glorious "Thong Song" by Sisqo (this is a song you must watch the video for!), but nonetheless an enjoyable vocal song.

 Their background work is subtle but it is notably a major part of their music. These are very frequent in their songs, and i'll admit I attempt to put some of these into my own music. They show that you don't have to have abs and dance like Usher to be able to make an R&B career. (It would help though haha, but Ne*Yo's doing it well. If you've seen the 'Closer' video, you'll get what I mean, great singer though =P.)


(Oh yes, they are wearing 3/4 shorts and sneakers!)

There is a song on this album, that initiated this harmonic infatuation. It is a cover of the popular Beatles song "Yesterday". You can recognise the basic outline of the song, but this is no Paul McCartney. This rendition is done A capella, with a few different vocal tones and timbers. The deep voice in the album version vibrates my sternum the same way Ice Cube's "Check Yo Self [Remix]" does. The way that the lines flow at ease and are delivered in such a pure and calm manner is brilliant. I aspire to be able to sing this cover one day, i believe it is an incredible version of a classic song.

The original Beatles version done live.



The Boyz II Men album version.

A shortened Boyz II Men version done live.


 I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment